COVID-19 Property Tax Financing Program
The Municipality of Cumberland recognizes that many citizens and businesses have been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The Municipality is, therefore, offering a one-time property tax financing program for owners of residential and commercial properties negatively affected by the COVID-19 global pandemic. The COVID-19 Property Tax Financing Program Policy was approved by Council on May 20, 2020 and can be found here.
You qualify for the COVID-19 Property Tax Financing Program if you are the owner of:
- a residential property that is your primary residence, and you have experienced a significant reduction in income due to the State of Emergency;
- taxable commercial properties (shopping, office, industrial, farm) who have experienced financial hardship through loss of revenue related to the State of Emergency;
- a property that is used for tourist accommodations (e.g., hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts) and you are a registered tourism operator under the Tourist Accommodations Registration Act.
How does the program work?
If your application is approved, your property tax payments will be spread out over 30 months. Your first six (6) payments will be $25 per month. The remainder of your tax bill will be divided by 24 to get the monthly amount you will be expected to pay. A small amount of interest (1.35%) will be applied to your monthly payments.
Note: If you default on any of your monthly payments you will be taken out of the program and will be required to pay the full amount owing and interest rates will increase to the Municipality’s normal rate of interest.
How do I apply?
Residents who believe they are eligible can apply through an online form. The information is being collected by the Association of Municipal Administrators (AMANS) and the Nova Scotia Federation of Municipalities (NSFM) on behalf of the Municipality. This information will be sent to the Municipality of Cumberland for review and approval.
- The form must be fully completed for your application to be considered
- The deadline to submit your application is June 30, 2020
- The application must be completed by the owner(s) of the property
- You will be asked for your Property Assessment Account Number (AAN) which is on your Property Assessment Notice from Property Valuation Services Corporation (PVSC). If you don’t have access to your Assessment Notice, there is a link on the form which will take you to the PVSC website where you can obtain that information.
A confirmation that your application has been received will be sent by email.
The Municipality of Cumberland will notify you when the application has been reviewed.
For answers to frequently asked questions click here.